Monday, December 3, 2012

Countdown Day 3



I'm on a roll people.

For the past 4-5ish years, our family has kicked off the holiday season by doing a bit of ornament procuring.  The kids each pick out an ornament to their liking, with the minimal condition that it may not be bigger than my outstretched hand.  The winners this year:



Ornaments



My children fill their gender roles so effortlessly.



When they're grown, they'll take all their ornaments with them to hang on their own trees.  My hope is that they'll remember the wonderful family memories we've created each year picking out our tree's eye-candy.  I imagine their reminiscing will go something like this:

Asher:  Hey Emma, remember when you got this ballerina ornament?


Emma: Yeah, it almost didn't satisfy mom's hand ruler requirement.  Didn't I get that at Michaels?


Asher: No, I think it was Joannes.  Michaels wasn't 50% off that week.


Emma:  Oh yeah.  But, wait, what about your tractor ornament?  I thought that was from Joannes?


Asher:  Nope, wrong again.  That was the year mom forgot to take us, and Hobby Lobby was the only store that still had ornaments in stock in February.  But your snowflake was from Michaels.


Emma:  Umm, I'm pretty sure that was from World Market.  If I remember correctly, Dad was working that night and Mom needed a mixing bowl, so we picked up our ornaments at the same time.  She had a coupon or something.


Asher:  That's right!  Isn't that the year we didn't put the tree up till Christmas Eve?


Emma:  No, that was the year she told us we'd go see the Temple lights and get hot chocolate, but we just ended up driving around a few times in our cul de sac drinking some warm capri-suns that were about to expire.


Asher: I think she had a girl's night out planned that night.  


Emma: Ah yes, the true spirit of Christmas.


Such sweet, sweet memories.









3 comments:

RJ said...

I'm on try four of proving I'm not a robot. I even had to erase my comment because after seeing it so many times it wasn't funny anymore. Here's hoping...

Jenny D. said...

I fail the robot test nearly every time.

Gina said...

That was a good laugh. Maybe I wasn't supposed to laugh at your childrens' sweet memories but the warm capri suns had me snorting.